mardi 7 mars 2017

Apparent seams, yes or no?


When making my last large quilt, I hesitated to let the seams showing on the right side. Working with plain fabrics, it would have been possible, and I really liked the "refracted" color effect. But it did bring a lot of technical problems to my mind, working in such a large format. So I chickened out and went back to a more classical way of sewing my pieces!

Quand j'étais en train de réaliser mon dernier grand quilt, j'ai hésité à laisser apparaître les coutures du bon côté. En travaillant avec des unis, cela aurait été possible, et j'aimais vraiment beaucoup l'effet "réfraction" de la couleur. Mais des problèmes techniques propres à un si large format me sont venus à l'esprit. Alors j'ai eu la frousse et je suis revenue à un moyen plus classique de coudre mes pièces!


© Maryline Collioud-Robert, 1001 Couleurs, 2016, 172/238 cm

Here's the result, a quite classical quilt, but it came out exactly how I wanted it to and I like it a lot. It's called 1001 Colors.

Voici le résultat, un quilt assez classique, mais le résultat est exactement celui que je voulais et je l'aime beaucoup. Il s'appelle 1001 Couleurs.


Nevertheless, the fact of showing or hiding seams is often present on my mind, and I've decided to make my next quilt with the seams on the top of the quilt and not hidden inside.
I'm making an improv scraps quilt with prints, and it takes a lot of concentration to have both the right side of fabric AND the seams showing up!! More in the weeks to come!

Néanmoins, j'ai souvent à l'esprit la question de montrer ou de cacher les coutures et j'ai décidé de faire mon prochain quilt avec les coutures sur la surface du quilt et non cachées à l'intérieur. 
Je fais un quilt improvisé avec des restes imprimés, et cela demande une sacrée concentration pour avoir le bon côté du tissu ET les coutures sur le dessus! On en verra plus dans les semaines à venir!


4 commentaires

  1. 1001 Colors is gorgeous! I'm really interested to see how your seams-out quilt finishes up. That's a very interesting idea, and it will surely have a highly textured feel to it.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I think that seams on the top is a great idea. =) Très interesant.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. A similar dilemma to the whole visible stitching and visible mending ideas which are around now. Interesting how what is considered appealing and desirable is open to interpretation.

    RépondreSupprimer

On Instagram

© Mary & Patch. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.